Question
Posted by: Android | 2012/02/20

Feeling

Lately I have been having these strange thoughts and sensations where I am freaked out by my own existence. It is kind of hard to explain because it all happens on a rather metaphysical level and the intensity of it varies. The whole concept of human experience with regards to emotions, thoughts, the mind''s eye, imagination, memory and the 5 senses just boggles me to the point of vertigo and I feel like I am high on bad psychedelic drugs -floating in a nightmare cloud of anxiety. I think very deeply about things most people just ignore completely such as where do I end and where does the rest of the world begin, the whole concept of space-time and infinity and eternity. These thoughts are all very existential in nature but happen very aggressively, rapidly and persistantly and make me experience intense anxiety and despair. I struggle with my concentration and find it difficult to work, interact socially and just living in general. It is almost like I am trapped in the Matrix or some Sci-fi movie and where most people perceive life in its fullness I only see the bland basics of binary code that underlies everything.
I used to experiment with marijuana, LSD and other psychedelic drugs in my 20''s and sometimes wonder if this is not " pay back"  for these experiments of long ago. I havent touched any drug in years though.
Another possible explanation to my dilemma is that I am currently stuck in a tedious and bland job which provides me with little creative and mental stimulation and most of the seeds to these negative thinking habits are sown there. I would really love to break out and change my circumstances but all this mental static inside me makes it very difficult.
I feel like I am stuck in a catch 22 situation with no way out.

Ues, there are indeed many such issues which, especially if one jumps into them at the deep end, make one feel giddy. And, yes, drugs like marijuana and LSD are not kind to brains, and can make it more easy to get muddled rather than to find solutions.
And indeed, as you also identify, being in a boring job gives one too much time to think unproductively ( and that's an important part of this - you're essentially spinning your wheels, like a car stuck in sand, rather than sorting out Great issues.
You describe things really well. Maybe it would be useful to see a psychologist, for a conversation about this, and an assessment, to see if there could be ways of reducing the mental static and helping you to focus more usefully on issues that deserve your attention, and maybe enhancing aspects of your work so its not so boring ?

1