Question
Posted by: Claire | 2012/05/09

Feel so down today

Dear Cybershrink
I feel so very down today. I am usually upbeat and positive. I battle financially living from payday to payday. Quite the norm in SA hey. It just never seems to get better. I am single and my mom lives with me due to financial reasons. We have two old cars I keep going because I live far from work. Lazy no, I have a bad ankle which does not allow me to walk to the bus-stops. The one has been standing broken and I was planning to fix part of it on payday. The other one broke down last night. I am struggling to keep us both fed, clothed and you name it. I spent half the night trying to get a lift to work. Everytime I try and do something like save for some furniture bang another crisis like the cars or my mother''s numerous illnesses and their is NO family to help. I know it is a story of most South Africans but today I just thought about if I really want to carry on like this anymore. I feel as if I have nothing to live for. My ex left me when my mom moved in. It has been 14 years of hell, surely one deserves a break from somewhere. I would love to meet a decent man but who wants a woman with no money and a mother in tow?

Hi Claire, sorry to hear you're feeling down. When one's struggling to get along, two possible problems arriving at the same time, like both cars having problems, is of course upsetting. But don't confuse, as people too often do, not wanting to cary on LIKE THIS, with not wanting to carry on. It can and WILL be possible to change the "like this". Be ready for opportunities as they turn up, and there should be the right sort of man around, even if you haven't met him yet.

4
Posted by: Sympathy | 2012/05/09

Damn it !! I am soooo sorry for you. I know it does not help you materially, money etc, but I fell for youj. I don''t know you but i pray for you tonight my dear, Jesus, help her please.

Reply to Sympathy
Posted by: Carl | 2012/05/09

how old are you, i hope there a guy who is waiting for you but you dont seem to c him

Reply to Carl
Posted by: Ann | 2012/05/09

I feel your pain. I really really do. I too am divorced and have one child left at home with me. Finances are a nightmare! I am in the process of thinking of how I can downgrade my standard of living. Ive already cut out all the luxuries long ago and cut the grocery bill down and given up on trying to save for a new stove and bed. It''s a case of just getting by from payday to payday. This is not meant to make you more depressed but perhaps knowing there are other people in the same situation might help. Are you able to maybe take in a lodger to bring in more cash if you have a space room? Just an idea! I think we would all like to think there is an end to the constant battle and yes I like to believe that one day things will be better. So keep your chin up and dont lose hope!

Reply to Ann