Posted by: FED UP | 2011-03-14

Feel like I can still lose my last 5kg''s

I''ve tried everything, low GI, high protein, high fibre, low fat, vegetarian, counting calories,keeping a food journal, but I think I''ve hit a plataue or something. (for almost a year!!)

My height 1.68cm, my age 29 female, my weight 68kg''s. What is the best way to lose 5kg''s. I am currently eating 5 times per day. A combination of protein,good carbs, good fat and veg/fruit.

Will appreciate any advise!!!!!

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello "Fed Up",
Sorry for the late response, but I have been away. I like most of what "anonymous" has advised you in his/her response. Eat moderately on a regular basis. However, I would not exclude sugar altogether, as this is just another substance (a refined carbohydrate) that should be taken in moderation. Avoid special shakes, and stay away from all fad diets and restrictive diets, please! From another angle, your height to weight ration places you at the high end of still a normal weight range. What you need to consider is that you might be predisposed to being naturally around this weight. It would be wiser for you to learn to accept yourself for where you are than spend the rest of your life trying to weigh less than what you are naturally "programmed" to be. Do you want to be at war with yourself forever? As the old saying goes: Who on their death bed says "Oh, if only I dieted more in my life". Look at other family members to get a gauge of where your body might naturally lie. You might be in that mix somewhere. Last thing, you might consider going to a dietician to have a personalised meal plan designed for you. A dietician would also be able to quite accurately determine your metabolic rate and estimate a realistic goal weight range. So, please reconsider automatically having to lose 5 kilograms. Oh, exercise moderately.

Posted by: anonymous | 2011-03-23

The best way is to just eat all the food groups in moderation, low gi is good but you need to eat things like avo, steamed fish, seed bread, sweet potato and lots of raw veg and salad stuff, add lemon juice to make it tasty, try avoid salt and sugary drinks, drink fat free milk or low fat and healthy fats like seeds.Try to avoid sugar as it turns to fat if you dont burn it up and if you do cheat just go for a brisk walk and lift some weights.Nutri shake is a really good snack to help you to get all those essential vitamins and to sustain you through out the day without picking.Try to avoid red meats that are fatty and rather have skinless chicken, calamari or fish or if you are vegetarian, legumes, lentils and beans.You do however need some sort of red meat at least once a weak for your iron intake but you can have healthier meats like beef with no fat or pork is a good one if it has no fat on it. Hope it helps

Reply to anonymous