Question
Posted by: Portia | 2008-11-12

Feeding plan for 6 month old infant

My son was on rice cereal from 4 months already, and in between, he had the purity first foods once a day. He continued the purity at 5 months and in addition we gave him the purity banana cereal for breakfast. He IS NOW 6MONTHS OLD and I would like to know what feeding plan can we use per day. He is also on NAN formular milk. We dont want to over feed or under feed him, so please advise. Can we prepare home cooked meals (veggies/fruits)? How do we prepare it, in terms of ingredients etc

Dear Portia
You can certainly make baby foods using standard foods in your own home. For example, cook fresh bland vegetables like potatoes, squash, carrots, without salt or sugar and puree them. Make fresh batches every day if possible. Fruits like apples and pears can be peeled and boiled lightly and pureed. Bananas can be mashed. Continue with the cereals and formula because your son is still rather young to eat meat and finger foods. Click on 'Child' at the top of this page and then on "Nutrition' and 'Infants' to see what foods and how much infants should eat. Also click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and do a Search for the 2 articles I wrote earlier this year on: "WEANING FOODS INFLUENCE THE REST OF YOUR CHILD’S LIFE" and "WHAT WEANING FOODS TO GIVE BABY".