Posted by: Keke | 2008-11-26

Feeding plan for 10 months old

My baby was born 3,4kg and i am breastfeeding him. he never was a good eater though gaining weight steady at 3 months he 5,6kg...he will breastfeeding three times a day and spend most of the day sleeping and will breastfeed a lot during the night. at 4 months since i was going back to work i introduced solids purity first food, Nan 1, cream of maize(purity) he enjoyed this and was still gaining healthily. Now he is 10 months he still drinks Nan 1 i tried so many number 2 formulas trying to see which one he will drink he just wont drink any. i sorted out on mixing number 1 and 2. He never ate cereals he hates it.(tried forcing it on him he just returned it) now he only eats pap/soup and mashed potatoes and soup...he wont eat anything which is not savoury nor sugar either. i am worried he is not getting enough nutirtions. yorghut makes him blocked though he enjoys it. what can i give him? what are the best food for him at this stage.
he likes also to eat from everyones plate. (this worries me more coz maybe the food we eat is not good for him)

Dear Keke
You don't mention what you son weighs now at the age of 10 months? according to international tables he should weigh about 8 kg. He needs to have 500 ml of his formula per day plus some other foods besides pap and soup. If he likes savoury try giving him pureed minced meat in small quantities. Cook the mince and if necessary pass it through a sieve. Do the same with cooked vegetables. Babies do not need to eat sugar. Give him mashed banana and some boiled dried fruit (1 teaspoon a day if he is constipated) and do give him yoghurt as this is an excellent food rich in protein and calcium and the one thing it does not do is to make children constipated! He may be constipated because he is not getting any fibre in his diet if he is eating refined maize meal porridge and no vegetables. As regards his eating from adult plates, the rules to keep in mind are: Babies should not eat large pieces of food as they can choke and will find it difficult to digest; they should not eat too much salt because their kidneys cannot handle a lot of salt; their food should be cooked and sieved or pureed; babies should have small portions of food at a time often (1-2 tablespoons of pureed meat or vegetables, or mashed or pureed fruit or yoghurt or porridge at 6 small meals a day). Always keep in mind that babies have small stomaches and should not be given big portions. This is also why it is a good idea to let them have tiny meals more often during the day than the 2 or 3 meals that adults eat. To read more about infant feeding, click on 'Child' at the top of this page and then on "Nutrition' and 'Infants' to see what foods and how much infants should eat. Also click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and do a Search for the 2 articles I wrote earlier this year on: "WEANING FOODS INFLUENCE THE REST OF YOUR CHILD’S LIFE" and "WHAT WEANING FOODS TO GIVE BABY".

Posted by: keke | 2008-11-26

i just confirmed it at 9months he was 7,8kg is that an ideal weight. My gynae told me before he was born that he is not a big child...guess he was 3,4 coz he late by 7 days.

Reply to keke