Posted by: Boerboel Owner | 2009-06-08

Feeding advise needed

Hi I would like to know at what age should I start feeding my dogs only once a day. My three dogs have sort of taken it upon themselves to only eat once a day. The dog ages are 3years female crossed boerboel, 11 month old male boerboel and a nine month lod female GSD. Up until now I have been feeding them twice daily. In the morning I feed them dry pellets and then in the evenings its either pet mince or canned food with the pellets. These days they hardly ever eat in the mornings.

Dear Boerboel Owner

I never recommend that you only feed once a day.

I agree wholeheartedly with Cybervet. I own a 7 year old Boerboel. Based on my own vet' s advice I' ve never fed any of my pets only once a day. When I adopted my Boerboel a few months ago she had been fed only one meal per day. It was very good quality food but she was fat and inactive. Since splitting her daily quota and feeding her 5am and 5pm every day, she' s slim and full of energy. A twice-daily feed has had a positive effect on her metabolism.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-06-08

Personally I' d say that they' re ready for a meal only at night. That' s provided they' re all healthy and the right weight... normally at 9 months I' d probably give a small meal in between - but if the dog herself doesn' t want it, she' s obviously not hungry.

Reply to Chill