Question
Posted by: Ruby | 2008/05/28

Feedback continue...

Hello Dr Bets,
Sorry, my cat jumped on my keyboard and pressed enter :-)
What I was saying about my legs is that it is very abnormal for me to have such weakness, since I am not overweight at all, have strong muscles in my legs esp (I did endurance cycling)... So to be just normal would be abnormal for me, to be well below normal means that I lost a LOT of strength. The neurologist did not know why this is happening, but she could clearly see it. It was also in my neck muscles (I cant really push my head down) and most of the bigger muscles in my legs. She did nerve conduction studies on my legs and she said that my nerves work perfectly. She also did the test were they put a needle in a muscle and then you must contract the muscle. She also said that that was 100%. So she said that she dont think that the pain in my legs is due to nerve pain, but due to muscle pain. She said that the treatment is anyway the same, so she is giving me Lyrica 75mg for nerve pain. She said it would make me sleepy, so I asked her if I can rather start with it after my exam 19 June. She said it is fine. I also asked her about the Arcoxia (that my GP prescribed). It did not help when I took it in the evening, but the next day I was almost 100%. She said that it was probably the Arcoxia that helped, since it is something that works very slowly. So I asked her why would I have inflamation (if the antiinfammatory helped) and she said that it could actually be a viral thing. Like I had a virus, but after it resolved, my body kept on reacting to it. I asked her why I am so weak in my legs and she said that it might be because I have pain... My reflexes was also very strong and she said that it is possibly because my calcium is to low again. So all this pain could still actually be low calcium again (I must say the pain feels the same as then). She said it might be worthwhile to see a rheumatologist, but that I should maybe first wait and see if the internist who helped me in hospital will not be able to resolve this for me. She knows him and knows that he is one of the best doctors in RSA. I see him mid June, so I am happy with this... So I decided to try the Arcoxia again if the pain gets bad till after my exam... Or should I also take it when I have only mild pain (like now), or is Panados better? I really appreciate that this doc really took her time and tried to help me... But it kindoff then means that all the diagnoses of nerve pain and autonomic nervous system is then wrong... And then I am back to no explanation for my pain and for the heart problems? I guess I have to let go of the idea of getting a diagnoses and just hope that it will all go away one day. Dr Bets, the muscle where she put the needle in is actually very sore now, is that normal after a test like this? Do you have any suggestions of anything else I can do to find out what is wrong with me? Could low calsium also cause muscle weakness? Thanks very much for your help and sorry for the long post again... Ruby

Thank you for your feedback.

It sounds like if you are in good hands and I suggest that you wait for your appointment in mid June with the internal specialist, to see what diagnosis he makes. I recommend that you also take the Arcoxia for the mild pain, as the Panado's will not be that effective. Please note that low calcium can cause muscle weakness and that your muscle will be sore after having a needle stuck inside.

Kind regards

1
Posted by: Zandra | 2008/06/23

My mother is 68 and after a fall she has no strenth in her legs.

No pain, only difficultly in walking and or moving fast.

We dont know where to take her for some tests, an Orthopedic Surgeon or a Neurologist?

Reply to Zandra