Question
Posted by: Anxious Friend | 2010/08/10

Feeble from lack of food

A friend has lost a great deal of weight becuase of not being able to hold down food. She is very weak always shivering with cold and her body trembles often. The doctors say her problem is psychosomatic and because she is not eating. She does have Bronchiectasis, as well as very bad Gastric Reflux. The smallest amount of food makes her feel full or even nauseas.

Can you please tell me which nutritional supplement would be good for her to take just to replace some of the body fat she has lost.

A very concerned Frien

Dear Anxious Friend
I too am most concerned about your friend. I trust that she is at least receiving medical treatment for the Bronchiectasis and the severe gastric reflux? In addition she needs to be under the care of a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area) to help her with a diet that does not worsen the gastric reflux. For information about gastro-oesophageal reflux disease, click on 'Diet' at the top of this page to access the 'Diet section of the Health24 site' and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and read article 195 on 'GASTRO-OESOPHAGEAL REFLUX DISEASE (GORD) & DIET'. If the dietitian also finds that your friend has psychological problems (e.g. fear of eating because of pain, etc) then she may benefit from treatment by a clinical psychologist (ask her dr to refer her).
I do hope you will be able to help your dear friend.

1

Dear Anxious Friend