Question
Posted by: Heather | 2008/10/27

FED UP

I am a 43 year old female, 1,59m tall, weighing 70kg. According to this I am at least 10kg overweight. Since I can remember I have been on some kind of diet. At the moment I have joined Weight Watchers and after 1 month have not gained or lost a single pound!! What puzzles me is the fact that I do a tremendous amount of exercise without seeing any results. I' m currently training for a bicycle event and cycle at least 80km each Saturday. Besides this I do karate twice a week and speedwalking for another 3 days for at least an hour. I figure I should be a thin as a rake, but this does not happen. The weight just seems to keep piling on although there is no lack of trying. Could you give me any advice or should I scale down on my exercise regime?

Dear Heather
Your present BMI = 27,7 which is in the overweight range, so it would be good if you could achieve a BMI of about 25 (63 kg). If you are not losing weight with all the exercise you do, then I would recommend that you have a medical checkup to see if you are not suffering from a hormonal imbalance (e.g. thyroid, insulin resistance or female hormone imbalances). If you should have insulin resistance then the use of a low-fat, low-glycaemic index (GI) diet will help with losing weight.
Hope you can pinpoint what is preventing you from losing weight.