Posted by: Maria | 2011-08-16

Fecal impaction

My 9 year old daughter has a problem with fecal impaction. It used to be sporadic, but the last couple of months I have to giver her Movicol virtually every day, otherwise she starts complaining of a " runny tummy" , stomach ache and a feeling that she " can''t get all the poo out" , in her own words.

She has Weetbix for breakfast, some fresh and/or dried fruit every day and some veggies most days. I can''t think of another way to get more fibre into her diet. She is a fussy eater.

Is long term use of Movicol dangerous? Should we consult a doctor, and what kind of specialist would be most appropriate?

Long term Movicol use is not dangerous. You will have to consult a peadiatric surgeon to determine the cause for her poor stools.