Question
Posted by: Debbie | 2008-12-11

Fears &  Fobias

Hi, I am a 48 year old female. I have suddendly developed a huge fear of flying. It never bothered me before. I have been told that Cognitive Behavioural Therapy would help. What is this? How is it done?

Please help.

Have you never been aware of such a phobia before, or is it more than an opportunity to fly has arrived, so that you are now aware of feeling fearful of flying ? Anyhow, fortunately, this is a condition that responds really well to treatment, and CBT would indeed be the treatment of choice ( the Anxiety-Depression Support group ( number on this page ) can help guide you to a suitable therapist near where you are.
I have discussed this method many times, as you'll find if you search our forum archives --- basically it involves the psychologist working with you to identify your persistently negative habits of thought and of almost relex anxiety, and the triggers for your anxiety, and letting you learn different ways of thinking and behaving in response to these situations. In effect, you unlearn the habiots of being fearful about flying, and learn to be peaceful and feel pleasant and confident about it.

1
Posted by: Debbie | 2008-12-11

I used to fly a lot for work about 18 years ago and it never worried me. However about 3 years ago we had to fly. As I got on to the plane I wanted to get sick and my stomach wanted to work. I wanted to run off the plane.

Reply to Debbie