Question
Posted by: SMN | 2011/05/06

Fear to drive

I suffer a lot from driving, everytime i drive I will feel scared, I get so nervous and at times I have to stop and take a deep breath. This has affected me to an extent that I dont drive on Highways/Frrways and also on roads that I have never driven on before.

I seriously need help.

Expert ImageBehaviour modification

Fear is a healthy response, it stops us damaging ourselves and those around us. Driving when you are that terrified makes you into a liability as you need to be calm on the road to avoid getting into trouble. Typically this kind of phobia comes from being in or witnessing an accident. The best advice I can give you is to see a therapist. It is not a problem easily solved through basic advice. You will need to get to the source of the problem and build competencies that will enable you to function normally on public roads. For your own safety and ours, please get professional help. If you would like a list of therapists in your area please contact wellness@reinventhealth.co.za or look on the Health24 website.

2
Posted by: Scardy Cat | 2011/06/15

I feel your pain. I have the same problem. I call it irrational fear of driving!!! You are not alone!

Reply to Scardy Cat
Posted by: Behaviour modification | 2011/05/09

Reply to Behaviour modification