Question
Posted by: Cutie | 2008/07/17

Fear - soloution

Hi Doc . I have a sibling who at a young age watched a documentary concerning demons and exorcism . He then become very anxious and fearful that he would be possessed. This fear although unfounded continues to haunt him . He cannot watch anything or hear anything which relates to exorcisms or demons and is on medication for his anxiousness . He is what a term a “  Worrier”  . What can be done to help him overcome this fear . I doubt he would consult a practitioner .

Some of us tend to worry more than others, and perhaps to obsess about a particular worry more than is anywhere near reasonable. This sounds as though it may even have grown into the proportions of a phobia. It can respond very well to therapy such as CBT, mabe with the help of some medication ( but not from a GP ) --- he needsm to see a proper specialist psychiarist for a full assessment and treatment decisions. Try to persuade him to get this relief, which he deserves. Without treatment, these sorts of fears tend to grow worse, and broader.