Question
Posted by: Motlalentwa | 2011/06/28

Fear of the Unknown

I am 40 yrs. I want register for a part-time degree next year with UNISA as I am only having a grade 12 certificate, my employer will pay for my studies. I fear the unknown. Is it possible to complete a part degree in a record time as I really do not want to fallout.

You raise a number of different issues. Have you checked with UNISA whether your existing qualifications will enable you to register for a degree ? If not, you will need information about what more would be needed, and how to get those extra qualifications. I'm not sure what you mean about "record time". It makes good sense that you wouldn't want to fail or drop out, but a part-time degree always takes more time than a full-time degree, because you are spending less time each week on studies. But many people manage to achieve excellent degrees with part-time courses. Does UNISA perhaps provide some literature to guide you or someone you could speak to directly for advice ?
Remember, too, that whatever your previous qualifications, learning and studying is a habit, and it can be difficult at first to get back into the necessary habits. But it is possible, and can be really satisfying.

4
Posted by: Maria | 2011/06/28

I can manage 3 modules at a time, but it''s a stretch. However I also have a family, a job and animals to look after. A fellow student I knew did all her 3rd year modules in one year, while working at a full time job. Her husband worked away from home a lot that year and they wanted to start a family so she just ploughed through but I have no idea how she did it. If you''re single and you don''t have commitments other than work I guess you could do 4 or 5 modules at a time. Just remember that if you end up only working and studying you will become fed up and drop out. You must have balance in your life.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Liza | 2011/06/28

It all depends on how much time you can spend on your studies. On average, you need to spend 3 hours per week per module. If you have 9 hours per week that you can spend on studying, it means you can probably cope with 3 modules at a time.

Some people need more than 3 hours, some people need less. That you''ll only find out once you''ve started studying however.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza
Posted by: QQ | 2011/06/28

No it is not possible. A part time degree will take you twice as long as full time studies, maybe even longer.
.

Reply to QQ