Question
Posted by: Jo | 2008/09/30

Fear of son dying after miscarriage

Hi, I hope you can help. Neartly 2 months ago I lost my much awaited 2nd baby. The heart just stopped beating at 10 weeks but it didn' t abort so i had a dnc. Since then my fear of losing my 5 year old son has become so intense that it' s constatnly on my mind. I' ve been told to acknowledge my loss and grief and thought I had done so, but obviously not. I was treated for PND and GAD 3 years ago. I don' t feel depressed (I know the signs), but the anxiety is extreme. My son is asthmatic (mild) and I lost my best friend to an asthma attack at her 21st birthday 7 years ago. I think I' m taking that experience and the loss of the baby and mixing the two up and projecting it at my son. I just feel a little overwhelmed. Any advice on how to manage this would be appreciated. Thank you.

Your anxiety is very understandable, even if fortunately unrealisic --- best though to see a good local counsellor / psychologist, for assessment and counselling to get over this.