Question
Posted by: Lans | 2011/03/29

Fear of Holiday

Yeah right, you may think! Problem is we''re going to Bangkok and Phuket! I know some people may think it''s ridiculous but I am seriously worried and stressed (I''m talking sleepless nights, crying, 24/7 thoughts) of being in an earthquake or tsunami. I worry about dying and the end of the world. I don''t know what to do. I cannot cancel my holiday my husband has worked so hard at making everything perfect for the whole family. Is there something I can take, someone I can see, perhaps being hypnotised would help. I AM SO DESPERATE pls any advise would help....except to not think about it.

You surelty recognize that this is a huge over-reaction to a small risk, and you should urgently see a good shrink, perhaps first a psychologist, for CBT therapy to help you get these excessive fears into proper perspective. Hypnosis is NOT the answer. At best, if given only by a fully psychiatrically or psychologically qualified specialist, it can help as PART of a fuller progam of treament. I don't know how much time you have ( you should have started dealing with this months before the dates of travel, but a good CBT style therapist should be able to help you within weeks.

4
Posted by: Ruby | 2011/03/30

I felt this way a year ago when I went for my first over seas holiday. My doctor prescribed something like a mood stabiliser and it really did wonders. I stopped it as soon as I got back in SA because I did not need it anymore.

My doctor mentioned that maybe I''m just scared of the unknown and that''s why I feel something like " homesick" . And I really think that''s what my problem is. I don''t like taking risks and these little pills really helped me just to relax about the whole trip.

Good luck. Hope you get over your insecurities and that you and your family have a lovely holiday.

Reply to Ruby
Posted by: Romany | 2011/03/29

The " end of the world"  will be " global" ... oh and we are all going to die some day... when it is our time to die.
Makes no diffs where you are at the time.
Go, enjoy, it is great in Bangkok and Phuket, crazy, vibrant places, have fun!!!

Reply to Romany
Posted by: Also Scared | 2011/03/29

You are better off than me, l fear l will never be able to afford another holiday ever again................
Have a good trip!

Reply to Also Scared