Question
Posted by: karen | 2011/09/09

fear of heights

i have a total fear of declines - the step the decline the worst it is..... Will hypnosis help and is it recommended...... (cycling and hiking) - or is there another therapy?

No, I absolutely NEVER EVER recommend hypnosis as a single, sole treatment for anything, and I strongly recommend against EVER seeking assistance with any problem, from someone who describes themselves as a hypnotist or hypnotherapist. There is no adequate regulation of that field, and even a pet cat has gained formal paper qualifications as a Hypnotherapist in the USA.
Sometimes hypnosis can be useful as PART of a treatment plan formed by a broadly expert psychiatrist or psychologist ( only ) after a detailed and proper assessment of the whole problem.
When you speak of a fear of heights and I'd guess steep slopes and declines, all such fears can be well dealt with by more proven psychological methods like CBT, to unlearn the fears and to learn to be confident and unfearing. Medication sometimes helps, but those beneits could have the cost of less concentration and drowsiness, which wouldn't be very useful when cycling.
See a good local psychologist for a full assessment, and discuss the full range of treatment options.
You should be able to gain control of these fears fairly quickly and with lasting benefits.
As to hypnotists, remember the problem of consulting a carpenter that has nothing in his tool-box except a hammer - to him, everything looks like a nail, and he hits it. Choose someone with a range of tools and technqiues, who can choose what's best for you, not only what's profitable for him

2

Posted by: robin | 2011/09/09

cannot climb 5 steps of a ladder. legs turn to rubber.

Reply to robin