Question
Posted by: sarah | 2012/08/22

FEAR OF DRIVING

I have a fear of driving. I have had my licence for quite some time now. Some days I wonder how I even got it but I find driving very strenuous. I am only able to drive to places I know, so I know exactly what roads I need to take and when I need to be in a certain lane to get to where I want to go. If I have to go somewehre I don''t know, I panic, freakout and become fearful of changing lanes that I am too scared to look at my mirrors. I normally miss taking the turnoff I should have becuase I am frozen in the same lane. I am afraid of even driving fast. I won''t go on the highway because I feel it''s too fast. This fear just limits me from changing my job and doing things for myself and other people. I dont want to cause an accident where I would hurt someone else because of my fear so i try get other people to drive if I can. Any help would be great thanks

Not uncommon, as a variety of phobic anxiety, with the problems caused by the fear, rather than the other way round. Fortunately, this usually responds really well to proper competent treatment bu a shrink. Some drugs also used as antidepressants, can reduce such fears very usefully, and counselling of the Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ( CBT ) format is excellent at helping us to unlearn such unhelpful negative assumptions and bad habits of thought, and set you free to be a confident and safe driver.
let us know, in due course, how you are getting on after treatment has sarted.

2
Posted by: Pheobie | 2012/08/22

Hi Sarah,

I had the same thing and had to dig to find out why I had such a fear. My Mum taught me how to drive when I was a teenager, or she tried to . She shouted at me the whole lesson, which lasted about 5 minutes. She became this monster I did not want to be with. That put me off driving. So I eventually got another teacher but still hear her shouting at me for the mistakes I make. I had to learn to get over this bad experience and move on.

Hope it works out for you. There is actually nothing to be afraid of, thousands of people drive every day, it''s just something we gotta do.

Reply to Pheobie