Question
Posted by: Bernie | 2012-07-15

Fear of Driving

I am desperate- please assist.
I have suffered from the fear of driving. It is not so much the driving, rather the speed. I fear I will loose control if the car goes over 60km an hour. Driving on highways and open-roads also scares me. I have suffered for over 15 years.
I was traeted by a psychiatrist for about 5 years. I was precribed Cymbalata. This affected my short term memory amongst other side effects.
I was treated by a psychologist-cognitve therapy did not help.
Please give me the name of a therapist dealing in driving phobias

This is usuallu a highly soluble problem ! Now, I am pretty certain there is no therapist specializing in driving phobias, because nobody could remain in business working with such a fairly uncommon and narrow band of patients. Some drugs also used to treat depression may indeed help with all manner of phobias, but Cymbalta would certainly not be my choice for this purpose, and some of the slightly older ADS have more research backing their value for this use. And one shouldn't stick to a failing method of treatment for 5 years, without getting a second opinion and trying an alternative.
And cognitive-behaviour Therapy ( CBT ) should be really useful - usually its only with an inexperienced therapist or someone not using the method correctly, or when for some reason the patient isnt fully working with the treatment, that it doesn't work.

2
Posted by: Woman | 2012-07-16

If all else fails, try Neuro linguistic programming (NLP). You may just be glad you did.

Reply to Woman