Question
Posted by: Sunny | 2012/04/12

Fear of Driving

I have a licence, I can drive(by that I mean I can move the car from A to Z) only if I''m alone on the road, no other car, not one or two cars on the road. Just my car only.

My husband is now so impatient with me because he wants me to practice so that I can get used to it. But everymorning when I think of driving I get hot flushes, runny stomach, heart beating fast and I end up with excuses not to drive.

We''ve got two cars, but he must take me to work and back home everyday. If he''s working far, I take a taxi and leave the car at home.

I now the question how did I get my licence. Well it was easy as I was confortable driving a Driving School Vehicle cause they have controls on the passenger site as well I think.

What can I do to overcome this fear.

I wonder where and when you find such quiet roads to drive along ! But you make an important distinction between the basic skills of driving ( being able to control a vehicle so it moves competenyl from A to b ) and the psychological skills of being able to do so calmly and cope with varying distractions and other motorists.
In fact many people suffer similar problems to those you describe, and this can be helped by an expert shrink, probably best by Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ( CBT ) whcih would help you to gain control over your fears and avoidance of the situations you fear, to become capable of remaining calm and efficient while navigating through today's typically messy roads.
The symptoms you describe are typical of acute anxiety, and such therapy would help yyou lose these symptoms. The cost of therapy would surely be covered soon by saving the costs of extra travel for your husband and your taxi expenses.

9
Posted by: dk | 2014/01/26

driving is a huge fear especialy when family pressure you

Reply to dk
Posted by: dk | 2014/01/26

i feel like crying because im nervous

Reply to dk
Posted by: Teddy | 2012/04/30

I know how it feels, I was terrified or driving or being in a moving car for months after my boyfriend and I were involved in a car accident, we almost killed a pedestrian trying to cross the highway at night. my car was squashed as other cars couldn''t brake on time and was written off. my boyfriend had to drive me around until I got a new car. It wasn''t easy at all, I got shivers everytime i saw a pedestrian crossing in the middle of the road, I didn''t drive at night and I avoided driving as much as i could but i does get better with time, perhaps you should start by driving early morning on weekends, there''s very few cars on the road. the more you drive the better it will become.
good luck to you!!

Reply to Teddy
Posted by: Govenddy | 2012/04/30

Well I was the same (my sis as well), delayed getting my license for as long as possible. I drive myself to work everyday (alone) which is a 40k drive from my home. I share the road with lots of coal trucks, and many impatient drivers. My nerves are shot by the time I get home every afternoon. I also got myself an automatic as it just adds less stress with trying clutch control and still trying to accommodate the truck drivers and those idiots whom won''t practice good driving skills. I drive because it gives me a sense on independance, please do yourself a favour and learn as soon as possible to drive because there is nothing worse than being obligated to someone else to take you places and the price you pay is too high. The more you practice the easier it gets in any road condition. The fear never really leaves you, but that only allows you to be a careful driver.

Reply to Govenddy
Posted by: Meme2 | 2012/04/13

You are not alone. It took me yrs to actually drive. I was just the same. I was terrified of driving and would also have these similar anxiety attacks. In 2007 I found a job in Pta. My hubby would drive me to work in the morning and fetch me. He worked in parktown. Eventually I got a lift club, but got so fed up with the woman that I finally decided I needed to drive.

I got myself an auto car. I was so nervous that I felt with the nervousness, I wouldn''t cope with a manual. You can''t believe how early I left home the first day I drove my car to work.

That was 5 yrs ago. I am not nervous anymore, although I occassionally do get the jitters. But I am capable of driving anywhere now. It does get better. And driving the auto has been a good decision for me. Turns out I broke my ankle and struggle with clutch control.

Take it easy and one day at a time. Try driving around your area in the evenings and weekends. Start by just going up and down your road, and then eventually onto a busy road.

Good luck!

Reply to Meme2
Posted by: 5 years ago | 2012/04/12

That happened to me 5 years ago. I would literally cry when I think of getting behind the steering wheel. When It was time to go home after work I would rush to the toilet with a running stomach. I was using a lift club and I was forced to stay home whenever the person I am travelling with is not going to work. We also had 2 cars and I would also come up with excuses not to drive just like you. My husband was also not taking it easy on me. I just renewed my licence February this year. Amazing how fast time goes by. Right now I can go where ever I want to go. Dont panick, you will get there. I know how difficult it is. But you will pass through this. My advise to you. Make sure you drive that car everyday for 1 month only, the fear will get lesser an lesser by the day. Good luck girl.

Reply to 5 years ago
Posted by: cm | 2012/04/12

Thats a stupid thing to say for 17 yrs Drivers were avoiding you ,I wonder how many near misses have you cause., be Responsible like all the Drivers and get yourself a valid Driver Licence not for tha sake of yourself but for all Responsble Drivers in SA.

Reply to cm
Posted by: me too! | 2012/04/12

But, I can drive fine, very well in fact. My learners I have passed 7 times, however I have failed my practical driver''s test 5 times, not because I drive badly, but because I start crying and shivering and can''t concentrate.

I have been driving without a licence and accident-free, I might add, for 17 years, and people laugh at me when I tell them I don''t have a licence! And the more I know I have to get one, the more I fear the practical test! And as soon as I see a traffic cop close to me or my car, I start shaking like a leaf.

what can I do? I''ve just given up!

Reply to me too!