Posted by: Angela | 2009-07-13

Fear of Driving...

I am 27 years old, and ashamed to admit that I am afraid to drive.

About 4 years ago my best friend had a car accident, and her 1 year old daughter was killed in the accident. Since then I have little desire to drive, and I actually get very nervous at the thought of driving.
Can Hypnotherapy help me with this issue?

Any advice please, as it is affecting my relationship. My boyfriend gets irritated that I am so dependant on him for transport - understandably I suppose?

Don't feel ashamed. Inconvenienced, surely, but nothing to be ashamed of. I gather that (a) this was not a problem prior to your friend's accident ? (b) that since then you fear DRIVING, but not being driven, as apparently you are comfortable with your boyfriend driving you ? Such problems are not very uncommon.
The best form of treatment for this would be CBT, Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy, which has loads of good research showing it is effective with lasting benefits. The Anxiety-Depression support group by phone or online lists some of the shrinks near you who can provide this. I never ever recommend "Hypnotherapy" on its own, for several good reasons. There is remarkably little good and independent research showing it to be effective or to have lasting benefits ( hypnotists quote papers published only within their own journals ). On its own, it is rarely wise as a single treatment method, though some aspects of hypnosis may be useful when used as PART of bnroader therapy plans by a fully qualified shrink. and thirdly, most of those advertising themselves as "hypnotherapists" are quacks, not properly trained or qualified ( you can buy a certificate online making even a cat an oficial Hypnotherapist --- a colleage of mine proved this ), and governed by no professional group to ensure proper ethical standards. And if they are not properly qualified as a shrink --- a psychiatrist or psychologist, they are not capable of making a proper assessment, a proper diagmosis, or of considering or using other methods of treatment as well or instead of hypnosis.
So, see a good shrink capable of CBT, for assessment and a discussion of treatment options, and this problem should be resolved before long. Even if you don't become a rally driver, you could soon be driving comfortably, with the resultant degree of personal freedom that offers.

Posted by: Angela | 2009-07-13

Thanks Doc!

Reply to Angela