Question
Posted by: G | 2010/09/09

fear of dietician?

Can you explain why I am very anxious (even scared) of seeing a dietician? I don''t understand my behaviour. I am aware that weighing 150kgs is not healthy. I feel the physical effects of weighing this heavy, so why can''t I do what I have to do??? I am desperate to know why?

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello G,
Goodness, this sounds familiar, as I have a lovely patient who I have been seeing for a few years and who is facing a similar challenge to yours. Have you considered that your fear about seeing a dietician might be that you have assumed you will fail before even trying to make progress with your dietician? Think about it? Or, could it be that you are fearful of succeeding and loosing a considerable amount of weight, and having to face the prospect of getting on with your life in a more full and meaningful way? That would be a challenge, and you might succeed. The bottom line is that we make progress in our life and we beat our fears when we take action and face such fears. When we do that, we almost always come to realise that our fears were unfounded. You "want to know why", well, I suggest you make, if not keep your existing appointment with your dietician and find out what happens when you start looking after yourself in a physically more nurturing way. If you are in therapy, use your time in therapy to explore your reponse to your progress from following your improved lifestyle, and face the emotional demons you have been hiding from. If both of you are willing, I should set it up that you and my patient meet to chat. Agree?

1
Posted by: Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert | 2010/09/09

Hello G,

Reply to Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert