Question
Posted by: Claudette | 2012-02-13

Fear of Diet

Hi Dr Graham

I am overweight and have around 15kg''s to lose to be at a healthy weight.
My problem is that over the years I have read up on all sorts of diets and tried many of them too, only resulting in further weight gain. Who do I believe now when it comes to losing this weight? I have become petrified of trying even what a dietitian recommend in fear of becoming even bigger in weight and size. I find that when I focus on wanting to lose the weight, I also find myself going into a really terrible panic state, which eventually depresses me to the point of me giving up the whole idea of trying to lose the extra weight.

Please, any advise in this regard, I would be grateful for!
What is this panic attach I feel when I think about what food I should be eating?

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hi Claudette,
You description of what has happened to you over the years is typical. Almost all very restrictive diets will demonstrate early weight loss but, ultimately, the weight will be restored - usually more than was lost. I suggest that you DO consult with a registered dietician and have a moderate and balance meal plan formulated for you. What weight you lose on that, together with moderate exercise, will be a realistic reflection of what your body is capable of. Do not set any expectations for yourself. Just weight and see what happens.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Graham