Question
Posted by: Simon | 2010-08-30

Fear of crime

I share a home with someone, and he has to wake up every morning to take me to the bustop, then he goes back home, and back to bed... becuase of my fear of getting robbed. I am really conscious ofteh people around me, but i become tense and stiff, and by the time i get home I have a migraine and feel really sickly stressed out. How can I overcome this phobia. I cant really do anything by myself, and no I havent been robbed before. when i was little, Myself and my dad went to buy groceries for my sisters birthday party, and when we got back, all the food was stolen out of teh car. my dad was hijacked a while ago, and driven around with in the trunk of his own car. and our home was broken into. But nothing terrible has actually happened to me personally though. I really cant stand teh tense shoulders and fear, please advise.

As you recognize, the fear you feel is not merely very unpleasant, but of no use in increasing your degree of safety, and indeed probably counter-productive. Seeing a counsellor could help you get things better into perspective, and to learn how to better control your fears and respond more usefully to realistic concerns

1