Question
Posted by: Sam | 2010/05/26

Fear of animals

My friend''s little girl of 4 is terrified of animals like cats and dogs. She has been terrified since she was little and have a complete panic attack with screaming whenever a cat or dog comes close to her. She has never been bitten or scratch. My friend can''t go visit friends with animals, because they have to lock the animals away for the time my friend is there with her little girl.....Please, she is desperate and would appreciate any advice.

No puppies or little kittens she can tolerate either.

Such conditions usually respond very well indeed, and rather rapidly, to CBT ( formerly one would have advised Behaviour Therapy, but now CBT contains those benefits and adds the cognitive - thinking - component ). Now, neither CBT nor any other form of therapy has been shown to be effective in children as young as 4, but a skilled chils psychologist should be able to devise a similar method that is age-appropriate, helping her to learn to relax and feel calm, and to get used to feeling calm while viewing toy dogs and cats, talking about them, and so on.
SHe should be sen by a child shrink for a full assessment, and a disussion of treatment options

1