Question
Posted by: tina | 2010/04/06

Fear &  paranoia

I was raped in 1995 by someone I knew. He came into the house I was staying in and attacked me.

I''ve never felt safe - even in my own home.

October 2009 someone broke into my house and since then I''ve been more paranoid and felt even less safe than previously. I can''t sleep at night and jump at each and every sound I hear. I''m even afraid that someone''s hiding in my roof. I can''t stand to be at home alone either.

Please help?

I hope he was charged and convicted and is now in prison. But the broader problem you seem to be describing is possibly a variety of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, and you would be best helped by seeing a good local psychiatrist for a thorough assessment, diagnosis, and a discussion of treatment options. Psychotherapy of the CBT ( Cognitive-Behavious Therapy ) form can be really helpful, and possibly some medication with drugs also used to treat Depression, or a combination, could help you to feel more confident and competent while keeping yourself safe.

1