Posted by: Linda | 2009-05-29

I am a 29 year old woman. My problem is that I am literally afraid of everything. I have gastrointestinal problems and every time I feel a pain I get so stressed out, I get sweaty, nervous, it feels like I am having hot flushes or something because I think it' s something serious. The drs can' t find anything wrong but the pain is real. I sometimes wonder if I might be imagining the pain but I don' t think so. This is really becoming a problem, I am constantly afraid of something. Last week I was bitten by a spider and my fiance had to take me to the dr immediately, I was so hysterical and thought I was busy dying. The spider was in my sweater and since he bit me I can' t put on any clothes before " inspecting"  it and tossing it violently to make sure there is no spiders. I scream sometimes while doing this, having no control over the screaming. What is wrong with me? I had a pretty rough childhood but I can' t remember ever feeling like I feel nowadays. And when I say rough, I mean it was to a point where my dad had threatened to shoot my whole family, shooting wildly into the air. And even then I can' t remember ever feeling as bad as I do now. I was always a nervous person, but not like I am now. It' s really bad, it feels as if I don' t have a full life (if that makes sense). I want to be normal. Can you please tell me what' s happening to me and how I can fix it?

Sounds very like a Generalised Anxiety Disorder, which fortunately, responds very well to treatment, with CBT ( COgnitive-Behaviour Therapy ) a special form of psychotherapy / counselling, and medications, preferably some otherwise also used to treat Depression. You will be able to learn, rapidly, to calm down, be realistic as to what is worth fearing and what is not, and to control the screaming. You will be able to lear to relax and enjoy life. Do if possible, see a good local psychiatrist for assessment and advice, if that is for some reason not practical for you, try the best local GP.