Fatty tissue - can' t op!

Hi Cyber Vet

Thank you in advance for your help. My dog is a 14 year old fox terrier who has a lump above her right leg. It is growing. We have brought her to the vet twice - the first time the vet there said that it' s just fatty tissue and an op wasn' t required, but we must just keep an eye on it and if it grows, then they can operate it. The second time we brought her to the vet because the lump was steadily growing. The vet told us that even though it has grown, they cannot operate my dog because she' s too old! So they say we should just leave her be. This is quite stressful because the lump is growing and even though she is happy, healthy, eating, etc, it' s just too sad to see this growing. I am hoping there are other alternatives to surgery - could it be drained, perhaps?
I would appreciate any feedback.
Thank you so much

Dear Anonymous

Find a vet who recommends a blood test before surgery and have Isofluorane and a maintanence anaesthetic. There must be something wrong with the dog before I would not recommend surgery.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-04-29

That lump sounds like it' s bothering you a lot more than the dog. If it' s not painful, and doesn' t interfere with his movements, maybe it' s not necessary to remove it.

I' ve dealt with lumps like this in old dogs before, and the only time it became necessary to do something about it was once, when one was pierced by something and became a bit infected.

Reply to Chill