Posted by: Fatty | 2009-02-03

Fatty Liver

Di Doc
I have been diagnosed with " fatty liver" . I am told that it " may be "  alcohol induced, which, in all honesty, it probably is. For this I have many reasons, but that is besides the point.
Please can you assist me in finding a guideline as to what I should eat to make my liver healty again (or save what is left of it) without picking up weight. I am actually 15kg' s overweight on top of this.

Dear Reader
The two most important things you need to do to preserve your liver, is to totally stop using all alcohol (get help from a clinical psychologist if this is necessary) and to cut down on the amount of fat you eat. By doing these 2 things you will already reduce your energy intake a great deal (every gram of alcohol provides 29 kJ and every gram of fat provides 39 kJ!), so that you will automatically start losing weight. Eat a balanced diet that consists of plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables (7 or more servings/day), very lean meat, fish, eggs and whole, unsifted grains and cereals, plus fat-free milk and dairy products like fat-free yoghurt and cottage cheese, and small quantities (3 tablespoons/day) of margarine or oils that are rich in poly- or monounsaturated fats (soft margarine or olive oil). For an example of a low-fat diet, click on 'Diet’ and ‘Weightloss’ and then on ‘Balanced diet’. For additional articles on how to reduce your fat intake, click on 'You are what you eat' and read the 'Healthy Heart' section. If you require a specific diet to be worked out for you, then I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). Products like Essentiale or ProHep can also help your liver to function more efficiently. Increase your liquid intake moderately (about 2-3 cups of liquid more per day) using rooibos tea or water or water mixed with Game (50/50).
I sincerely hope that you will be able to recover as much liver function as possible.

Hi doc

my partner has been diagnosed with hepB, that was passed on from birth. what diet can he follow in order to preserve his liver and prevent further damage?