Question
Posted by: Kevin | 2008/07/31

Fatty Liver

Male age 52: Diabetic Type 2 - No Meds - Last HBA1C was 6.1 - PX meds for BP, BPHP, and Panic Attacks - Cozaar Comp and Zanidip, Hytrin 2mg, Sandoz Paroxitine. Recently after a scan for suspected Gallstones was diagnosed with a fatty liver with no sign of cirrosis - am 1.87 metres tall and weigh 103kg - I have stopped drinking alcohol totally - what else can I do to help my liver recover and are any of the PX Meds possible aggravating the liver? - would it help to take something like Essential or Prohep as well? Your advice would be appreciated! Many Thanks

Hi Kevin
Try using Milk thistle to support your liver. You must also try to eat a low fat diet. Zanidip can increase your liver enzyme count but should not cause fatty liver. Fatty liver can be caused by diabetes so if it does not improve just with diet and milk thistle your doctor may have to consider adding Metformin. NAFLD (non-alcoholic fatty liver disease) is associated with insulin resistance and the metabolic syndrome (obesity, combined hyperlipidemia, diabetes mellitus (type II) and high blood pressure)