Question
Posted by: Sofia | 2010-03-22

Fatty cheeses bad: but why also Parmesan?

hi, your article cheese:champion but not in chunks - everyone keeps on saying to keep away from hard cheeses :cheddar, Parmesan etc. but as i watch italian TV news, in europe more than a year ago it was actually discovered that Parmesan cheese has a lower fat content than most other " hard"  cheeses - cheddar being the worst, i seem to recall. So why keep on grouping this cheese with other " fatty" cheeses? have you ever melted cheddar and then melted parmesan? which has the more oil floating on top? proper italian made lasagne with parmesan on top don''t look oily like when you use cheddar..
have you guys read anything about this?
thanks
keep up the good articles ..:-)

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Sofiea
I did not write the article and actually love Parmesan! I think it is the assumption that most hard cheeses have more fat. I would not even think about putting cheddar on my lasagne- only Parmesan! Maybe you can let me know what the fat content comparison between the two is.

4
Posted by: Sofia | 2010-03-29

Hi Healthy Bones Expert, as per my previous email. You wanted some more info on paremesan cheese (from parmigiano reggiano.it website) :-)

Parmigiano-Reggiano
Nutritional characteristics
Technical data on the nutritional characteristics of Parmigiano-Reggiano

Parmigiano-Reggiano is a hard cheese and long seasoning.
Contains only 30% water and as much as 70% of nutrients: for this reason it is a cheese rich in protein, vitamins and minerals.

Nutritional characteristics

100 grams of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese contain:
Water 30.8 g
Total Protein 33.0 g
Fat 28.4 g
Energy value 392 kcal
Sodium chloride 1.39 g
Calcium 1160 mg
Phosphorus 680 mg
Sodium 650 mg
Potassium 100 mg
Magnesium 43 mg
Zinc 4 mg
Vitamin 270 mcg
Vitamin B1 34 mcg
B2 370 mcg
B6 110 mcg
B12 4.2 mcg
Vitamin PP 55 mcg
Pantothenic acid 320 mcg
Choline 40 mg
Biotin 23 mcg

Healthy, tasty and highly digestible.

Parmigiano-Reggiano is rich in essential amino acids and easily assimilated by the presence of enzymes that modify the casein and make it easy to digest: for this reason is also suitable for people intolerant to cow''''s milk protein. It is also characterized as a food free of lactose.
Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese has a fat content lower than most other cheeses, as a product with partially skimmed milk.

Rich in calcium and nutrients

To obtain a kilogram of Parmigiano-Reggiano takes 16 liters of milk.
It''''s good for all ages
Rich in nutrients is essential for the growth of children, for the health of adolescents and the elderly. also provides energy for Sports.
enjoy!!

Reply to Sofia
Posted by: sofia | 2010-03-28

sorry, bad translation   football should read as calcium

Reply to sofia
Posted by: sofia | 2010-03-28

Hi Doctor, as per my previous email. You wanted some info on paremesan cheese-for your info, (from parmigiano reggiano.it website) :-)

Parmigiano-Reggiano
Nutritional characteristics

Nutritional characteristics

Water 30.8 g
Total Protein 33.0 g
Fat 28.4 g
Energy value 392 kcal
Sodium chloride 1.39 g
Football 1160 mg
Phosphorus 680 mg
Sodium 650 mg
Potassium 100 mg
Magnesium 43 mg
Zinc 4 mg
Vitamin 270 mcg
Vitamin B1 34 mcg
B2 370 mcg
B6 110 mcg
B12 4.2 mcg
Vitamin PP 55 mcg
Pantothenic acid 320 mcg
Choline 40 mg
Biotin 23 mcg

Healthy, tasty and highly digestible.

Parmigiano-Reggiano is rich in essential amino acids and easily assimilated by the presence of enzymes that modify the casein and make it easy to digest: for this reason is also suitable for people intolerant to cow''s milk protein. It is also characterized as a food free of lactose.

Rich in calcium and nutrients

It''s good for all ages
enjoy!!

Reply to sofia
Posted by: Healthy Bones | 2010-03-23

Dear Sofiea

Reply to Healthy Bones