Question
Posted by: Ntombi | 2012/04/24

Fattening fruits

HI
Im trying to lose weight with NO success. This lady saw me eating breakfast AT WORK and told me I wont lose weight as long as im eating banana, pineapple and yoghurt even if is low fat. I was eating a banana and slices of pineapple and low fat yoghurt when she told me that. How true is this ? she said pineapple and banana have HIGH sugar content, I should avoid them if Im trying to lose weight. PLEASE HELP.

Dear Ntombi
I think that you need to tell people who come up to you and give you advice about something they are not qualified in, that they should concentrate on their own problems. A breakfast consisting of low-fat yoghurt and fruit is healthy, low-energy and low-GI, so that lady is just trying to manipulate you. According to the SA Food Tables, a 20g slice of raw pineapple contains 86,5% water, 2,2 g of carbs and provides 41 kJ; a medium peeled banana weighing 75g contains 74,3% water, 16g of carbs and provides 288 kJ. So the fruit would provide 18,2 g of carbs and about 330 kJ, while a 100g of low-fat yoghurt provides 233 kJ and 8 g of carbs (lactose). If you were having sweetened yoghurt it would provide 426 kJ and 19 g of carbs per 100g. In total you could have therefore been eating between 563 kJ and 658 kJ. An adult woman who is trying to lose weight can consume up to 2100 kJ at each of her 3 daily meals, so you would not even be consuming half of that amount.
Stick to your principles and tell that lady to mind her own business.

1

Dear Ntombi