Question
Posted by: A | 2011/09/30

Fatigue/Intoxication

The best way I can describe the way I feel is that it''s similar to intoxication. For the record, I''m completely sober and not taking any medication. I get caught up in this " haze"  where I can''t focus on anything for long periods of time. I feel tired too. I''m going to get that checked out by a doctor just to rule out any physical causes.

Sometimes when I''m having a conversation with someone it feels like they are " far away"  and I''m much more concerned with my internal dialogue than with what they''re saying. It feels like I''m apart from the rest of reality, caught up in my own thoughts.

I also get extremely bad panic attacks over irrational thoughts - which are completely irrational and illogical (something which my conscious mind realizes). For example, I have fears of unwanted pregnancies or contracting HIV, even if I''ve had no chance of contracting it in the first place. Because of this I haven''t been able to have a normal sex life in a long time.

Could this be stress? Somewhere between the divorce of parents and three extremely messy breakups in one year?

Regards,
A

It happens. Getting physically checked out by the doctor is wise. There are so many potential causes, each needing a different management plan. If nothing significant is found, next step should be a proper checkup with a shrink, to look at the other issues you raise, including the irational thoughts and fears. This could be an anxiety disorder, with features of OCD which often includes irrational and exaggerated fears. And, fortunately, usually responds well to proper treatment, with meds and CBT

1