Question
Posted by: Jay | 2012/02/06

Fatigue

I sent a question on 11/10/2011 regarding a fatigue problem.After the flu and resting for 4 days and started running and was fatigued on the long run.All the blood tests were in order.A visit to a specialist found everything in order and listened to my heart and was happy with it.Rested for 8 weeks and started running in November building up from 5 kms to 10 kms weekdays and up to 32 kms this past Saturday.I was getting the fatigue feeling intermittently but still ran 10 kms in 48 mins.I went to another gp on 09/01/2012 for a second opinion and he said it was myocarditis and not to run for 6 months and did a ecg which was normal.I am 51 years old and have run 16 comrades.What do you think?

Thanks Jay

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hi Jay,

I remember answering your question because in my reply I mentioned that I have run one fewer Comrades than you have!

If you can run 10 km in 48 min, ie less than 5 min per kilometer, and you can run up to 32 km at a stretch, it is highly unlikely that you have myocarditis. In addition, almost all patients with myocarditis have an abnormal resting ECG. The diagnosis is therefore very unlikely.

Much more likely is that your fatigue is non-specific and possibly due to a combination of factors including life stresses.

The diagnosis of myocarditis is also a serious diagnosis which should be made by a cardiologist. If you arestill worried that you may have myocarditis then I would arrange to see a cardiologist for tests including an echocardiogram. At the very least you need peace of mind. Also, it would be a great shame to stop you running if you do not have myocarditis. For this reason alone it is worth seeing a cardiologist.

Best wishes. JT.

2
Posted by: Jay | 2012/02/28

I have been to a cardiologist and he did the effort stress ecg and echocardigram and all is okay.I ran the Maritzburg Marathon on 26/02/2012 and took it easy and did it in 4.06 and also send in my Two Oceans entry yesterday.Thanks for all your advice.

Jay

Reply to Jay
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2012/02/27

Hi Jay,

Best wishes. JT.

Reply to Cardiologist