Question
Posted by: Jay | 2011/10/11

Fatigue

Had the flu and rested for 4 days the ran 10 kms for 5 days and 32 kms on the 6th day and was so tired I was reduced to a walk on the last 2 kms.All the blood tests were negative and was referred to a specialist physician who said my heart was ok just by examining and listening to my heart.They said it was chronic fatigue.Rested and back to the GP last week said its recurring URTI.Had antibiotics for 5 days but still feel tired after 5 weeks of resting.Could I have caused damage to my heart or will my body take a liitle longer to recover after the hard running after the flu?Is a ECG necessary or just by listening the heart a true reflection.I am 51 years old and run 16 comrades and have trained like this for many years.

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hi Jay Well done on 16 Comrades, one more than me! It sounds like you have what is called a post-viral fatigue syndrome, which can occur after any viral illness and may last a few weeks.

It is very unlikely you have done any damage to your heart but for peace of mind I suggest get an ECG done. If your heart rate and rhythm are normal and the ECG itself normal then heart muscle damage is extremely unlikely and it should not be necessary to do other more sophisticated tests eg echocardiogram.

Then I would rest for three weeks before starting training again. You will lose a bit of fitness of course but at the young age of 51 should soon recover what you lose. My prediction is you will soon be running-fit again. Comrades entries are open and you can enter with confidence!

JT

2
Posted by: Jay | 2012/01/20

I started running in November doing 5 kms and building up gradually and went to 10 kms comfortably in best time of 48 mins and long runs on Saturday now 20 kms.Running 3 times a week and long run on Saturdays and haven''t started gym yet.I feel much better but still f the fatigue feeling intermittently.In November my doctor suggested Cymbalta for chronic fatigue which I did not take.Went for a second opinion last Monday and the gp said it is mycocarditis and the ecg was normal and he said i must not run for 6 months!!! What do think?

regards
Jay

Reply to Jay
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2011/10/24

JT

Reply to Cardiologist