Posted by: E | 2009-02-02

A bit of background:
I have an under active thyroid gland but I am drinking Eltroxin and my doctor tests my blood every 6 months and apparently I am on the correct dosage. I have been diagnosed with Glandular fever last year June, but I do not have any other symptoms.

I am so tired. I wake up feeling fine with absolutely no problem to get out of bed. I have a breakfast (usually All Bran Flakes) but then on my way to work I am so tired I can hardly keep my eyes open. It is so bad that I sometimes feel I am nodding off and this in peak traffic on the N1.
During the day I am sometimes fine and other times not. Sometimes I can hardly stay awake during meetings or while busy writing reports. In the evenings I am fine again. Sometimes I want to sleep, but most times I can do my routine stuff and have energy for it - well at least I do not have a choice so I just carry on.

Please help - I do not know what to do anymore. My blood count and hormones are apparently fine, and I am taking an Iron supplement.

Maybe there is something spesific my doctor can test for.

Dear E
Your symptoms could be due to low blood glucose levels or it could be that you don't sleep deep enough and don't get proper rest at night. Try eating a low GI diet ( look on health 24 website) and eat every 3-4 hours - even if it is just 2 Provitas and a small piece of cheese. Ask your husband/partner if you snore at night or if you stop breathing in your sleep, if you don't get enough REM sleep (dream sleep) you may be very tired during the day.