Posted by: Boo | 2009-08-06

father has lung cancer

My stepdad was diagnosed with lung cancer 2 days ago, and has been given under 6 months to live. How do my mother and my siblings and I handle the emotional aspects of this? I worry about giving the rest of my family the support they will need during this time. It isn' t just my stepdad who will need support, but everyone else too. Please advise me on how to be strong for them.

Expert ImageCancer survivors guest forum

What is important at a time like this is to stand together as a family.

Move at the patients pace.

Assist him in living one day at a time, find out about his dreams and goals for himself, what does he need to find meaning in his life and assist in making these dream come true. Make special memories as a family and short out any unfinished family issues . This is a special time and you can all assist in making it ebven more special.

If this process is hard for all please get to see someone for counselling to asssit the family. Contact the Hospice orgainisation in your area. They are the experts in palliative care and will be able to assist you with the best advice.