Question
Posted by: Flippa | 2011/02/10

Father drinks Dagga Tea

Hi CS,

My Father makes Dagga tea with the leaves. He has a prescription from a doctor as it apparently helps with Arthritis. Have you ever heard of this?

I think it is making him loopy as he is doing the most craziest of things. For example, he tells me he has conversations with famous people, he has their phone numbers on his cell phone. Can he be declared insane because of this? He is 75.

Thank you.

I have never seen any good evidence that Dagga, as tea of in any other way, is good for arthritis. If it was, I might think of trying it myself ! But it can indeed produce the sort of psychotic-type effects you describe, especially in people already at risk of such types of illness or maybe in early dementia. There might be a risk of him being considered loopy by someone who didn't know there was a drug involved. I'm very surprised that a doctor would prescribe such an unrecognized treatment - is the doctor aware of crazy side-effects ?
And have you checked any of the numbers on his phone ? If any of them are those of actual famous people, maybe he's more clever and less crazy than it seems ?

3
Posted by: Siyabonga | 2014/11/09

Hi, it is not the leaves that you boil (clearly it'll leave you high). I use the seeds which haven't done anything weird in my blood stream. So the seeds are what should be boiled to avoid such problems.

Reply to Siyabonga
Posted by: sanet | 2011/02/11

I''ve heard of it and let him take it. He is happy so let yourself be happy for him. does it really matter? it''s not an addictive drug and he can not overdose. Leave him and let him just enjoy it. But he must just not go too far.

Reply to sanet