Question
Posted by: Dane Hammond | 2012/06/03

FATAL Esophagus Disorder

A dear friend of mine has a FATAL Esophagus Disorder, where the tube is shutting down and has constant reflux after every meal and rapid weight loss, he originally went for valve repair procedure for chronic heartburn, the Procedure was unsuccessful an damaged the Esophagus, doctors say there is nothing they can do, are there any means of surgery, Treatment or artificial replacement that can help with his problem?

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello Dane,
First, I am not a medical doctor and I would be very reluctant to advise or make a diagnostic comment via the forum. From your description, it sounds like your friend has a Nissen fundoplication, a surgical procedure to treat severe gastroesophageal reflux. I suggest that your friend consult with one of two laparoscopic surgeons to seek opinions on a repair. You will likely only find such specialists in the larger to major cities. I'd be able to refer you to such surgeons in the Cape Town area.
Regards,
Graham

2
Posted by: Eating Disorders Expert | 2012/06/21

Hello Dane,
Regards,
Graham

Reply to Eating Disorders Expert
Posted by: Magdel Wilson | 2012/06/19

I ingested caustic soda by accident when I was 10years old. There is NO replacement for the esophagus. The Specialists replaced my burned and damaged esophagus with part of my colon. I had to go to theater for years every so often to stretch the joints by the throat and the stomach. I dont have valves at all and I adapted sleeping at an agle (sit-upright position) a Specialist in Randburg Olivedale Clinic worked on the esophagus in 2005 and to date with no valves I dont get heartburn or reflux anymore

Reply to Magdel Wilson