Question
Posted by: yasmin | 2011-07-03

fat tummy

hi dr`, im not sure if i should be worried`, i train about 5 times a week and eat a healthy balanced diet, but my stomach is always fat + bloated`. im 27yrs old. thanx :)

Dear Yasmin
You need to decide if your tummy protruding because of fat deposits or if it is bloated because of a build-up of wind? Because you say that you train 5 x a week and eat a healthy balanced diet, I would suspect that this is not fat, but bloating which could be caused by a wide variety of factors such as irritable bowel disease (IBS), ulcers, enzyme deficiencies, food allergies and intolerances, gallbladder problems, etc. Because so many different medical conditions can all produce the symptom of bloating, it is important that you have a medical examination so that we can obtain a diagnosis. If the diagnosis has a dietary cause (IBS, food allergies and intolerances, etc) we can look at changes to your diet, some of the other conditions may require medical treatment.
So please have the examination

2
Posted by: Lee | 2011-07-04

Hi Yasmin

I also had this problem. I went to a dietician and then did the following. I cut out wheat and dairy for two weeks (usually the main culprits). Then I went back on dairy and felt fine still. After two weeks I went back on wheat and felt bloated again. I have now successfully cut out all wheat (bread, pasta, biscuits, cake, pastries). It took me 8 weeks to get used to it but I feel like a new person. I have lost 10 kgs and my tummy is flatter. I also find that apples make me bloated but when I stew them I am fine.
It is really worth knowing what your tummy doesnt want.

Reply to Lee
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-07-04

Dear Yasmin
So please have the examination