Question
Posted by: Claire | 2008-11-19

Fat pockets

I have love handles and no matter what i seem to do i can’ t lose them. I work out 5-6 times a week, alternately between cardio and weights. I eat healthy and drink alcohol on rare occasions. I also follow a low carb diet, but i cant lose the two fat pockets on the each side of body (just above the butt area, slightly below the waist) I know that I can not target specific areas, but is there certain exercise or cardio exercise which targets this area a bit more! I am so desperate to lose this weight as the rest of my body is toning up nicely

Hi Claire

A couple of things. First, I know little about what you do in those training sessions, other than that its cardio and weights. It might be that you need to change the type of exercise, or even the intensity. Intensity is often the forgotten variable that makes the difference, and maybe you need to increase the intensity slightly to see progress. That's speculative, but a likely change that will help you.

As for the diet, the low carb diet is a problem. There's no evidence that it works, and perhaps more reason to think that it's probably part of the problem, because more than likely your diet is insufficient and your body is conserving energy as a result. So I really do believe that diet is something you need to look at, regardless of whether you think you're eating healthily at the moment.

And then finally, it might be that you just need to give it time. You did suggest that you're seeing good results everywhere else,a nd that's fantastic. Perhaps it will take a little more time, and you'll start seeing the same results in those problem areas. But everyone battles with them, it's nothing unsual, and can take a great deal of time to sort out.