Posted by: Edward | 2009-06-18

Fat oxidation

I have a bit of a problem...
I' ve been eating very well and training hard without over training yet I cannot lose body fat. I have read that perhaps my aerobic capabilities are not so good. I used to eat a low carb diet and over train and since have corrected that (60 % carbs, 25 % protein &  15 % fat) I am 108kg with about 13 % BF at 6ft. I have been increasing my lean muscle tissue but little to no success with regards to fat loss. I have also had my blood checked and all is well. When I do cardio (sprints or long distance) I lose in lean muscle tissue, but have read of " wind sprints"  to increase and better my bodies aerobic capabilities. It involves 10 seconds sprints and recover (get breath back) while either light jogging or walking, repeated for 5 sets about twice a week.
What do you think? I have literally tried just about everything.
Please advise.

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Edward

Don’t be so hard on yourself you are in great shape!!!
I can hear you are frustrated. If you are not losing body fat you are still consuming more calories than what you need – you need to be in a calorie deficit to lose body fat. That means you have to eat according to your training – if you train harder like you said you did and lost lean muscle you were eating too little to support the energy needed thus the body sacrificed its muscles for the energy – you should adjust your food intake if you increase your output, but be in a SLIGHT energy deficit to support fat loss. Start calculating your energy input versus your energy output and you will find the answer.
Google Tom Venito – he has written excellent scientific sound books that will give you lost of info and the right advice to streamline your efforts.
Just one last aspect – you need to increase you fat intake to 20% - and make sure that two thirds of that intake comes from good fats (olives/olive oil/avo/ nuts/seeds/flaxseed oil) as they act as fat burners and are vital to good health!

Good luck and take care.