Question
Posted by: Lara | 2008/09/30

Fat on meat

I eat a healthy balanced diet. I just have one question regarding the fat on meat. When I roast for example pork chops, should I take off the fat before cooking or after? Does it matter? The same question for chicken. Can I cook it with the skin on and just take off the skin before eating it? It seems that the meat is juicier when prepared with the fat.

Dear Lara
Regarding the pork chops, I would cut off the visible fat before cooking and with chicken or other poultry I would cook the chicken in its skin and remove the skin before eating. Also allow both meats to drip off all fat used in preparation before you eat them and try using low-fat cooking tips (steaming, grilling or frying in a nonstick pan) instead of frying in fat.