Posted by: Sara | 2009-04-15

Fat loss diet

I am currently following an eating plan along with 30 minutes of exercise 3 x per week as I would like to lose a few kg’ s and tone up. I was on this diet last year and it worked very well for me. I am eating 1200 calories per day, broken down into 90g carbohydrates, 120g protein and 30g fat. This time around though, I am finding it difficult to eat the full 120g of protein as I have cut down on my red meat intake quite considerably –  I have replaced it with skinless chicken and more fish, but because I’ m not eating a huge steak for supper I just cannot make the full 120g and am sitting only on about 70g of protein a day (I weigh 60kgs by the way). Is this still ok if I want to lose fat mass? Is the intake of carbs of 90g healthy or is it a bit low? Also, I am not eating the full 30g of fat as I have fat free everything. Could this be a problem? What are the correct grams to eat per group for weight loss? Furthermore, the plan says to increase to 1400 calories in the second week, but I tend to binge a bit on the weekends so my thinking tells me that I have not completed a full week (or 7 days) so I tend to go back to this 1200 calories for a few weeks in a row. Is this a problem? Please assist me as I’ m a bit confused and desparate to shed these kilos.

Dear Sara
If you onlly need to lose a few kgs then all you need to do is to eat your normal diet and increase your exercise to 30 min a day of cardio exercises. This high-protein, high-fat, low-carb diet that you used last year may have encouraged weightloss, but it is not a healthy option because as you yourself say, you had to eat a huge steak (rich in fat, saturated fat and cholesterol) every day to achieve the high protein intake. The car intake of 90 g per day is better than nothing (some high-protein diets ban carbs totally), but it is always better to eat a balanced diet that includes all the food groups and carbs on their own (without added fat) have a low energy content of only 4 kcal/gram compared to 9 kcal/gram for fat. If you want to lose fat mass you will have to concentrate on doing those cardio exercises (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, rowing, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life, aerobic exercises and modern dancing).