Question
Posted by: Cherry | 2011/08/27

Fat loss

I have a body fat of 37%. For four weeks I''ve been exercising - powerwalking, weight training, cycling, rowing, stepping, zumba. Eating low GI diet. Fat free. Have excluded most grains just because I feel better when I don''t eat grain. Supplements - omega 3, multivit, occasional protein shake after hard workout. Body fat has not budged in four weeks. Weight dropped by 1kg. Any advice? Thank you.

Dear Cherry
If you are generally overweight (?), then your exercise programme and the low-GI, low-fat diet should help to promote fat loss in general. You don't provide your current weight in kg and height in metres so that I can calculate your BMI to judge if you are overweight or not. According to Prof Tim Noakes, adult women who are not elite athletes have a body fat% of 24% on average, so it would be good if you can reduce yours. However, this takes time. I would imagine that at the moment you are starting to produce lean muscle mass with all that exercise. Muscle tissue ironically weighs more than fat tissue, so also check your vital statistics to see if you are losing fat and not just mass. If you are overweight then it is important that you also reduce your energy intake to about 6300 kJ/day. Eating a low-fat diet should help, but if you are still ingesting more than 6300 kJ/day then you may not lose fat. If you find that your body fat% and body weight still does not reduce after another 2 weeks, I would recommend that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will determine what you are eating a present and how much energy you are ingesting and make the necessary changes to your diet so that you can lose weight.
Hang in there

1

Dear Cherry
Hang in there