Question
Posted by: JR | 2009/11/19

Fat in food

Surely not all " low fat"  food are really good to eat when you are trying to loose weight. So what fat % per 100g should one look out for. But then also how do you know the food is not being compensated on some other level.

Where can I get like a chart that explains these things?

JR

Dear JR
I agree that some low-fat products such as carbonated, sweetened cold drinks or alcohol (both of which contain no fat at all), are not a good idea when you are trying to lose weight. As mentioned to another Reader the other day, "To qualify as a "low-fat food" the food should not contain more than 3 g of fat per 100g or 1,5 g of fat per 100 ml. To qualify as a food that is low in saturated fat, the food should not contain more than 1 g per 100g or 0,8 g per 100 ml." You can usually find the fat content of foods on their labels or check out the Food Tables at: www.sahealthinfo.co.za and then click on 'Nutrition'.

1

Dear JR