Question
Posted by: AIMEE | 2012/02/29

FAT GRAFTING

HI DOC
I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE FAT GRAFTING TO ENHANCE MY CHEEK BONES, WHAT IS YOUR EXPERT OPINION ABOUT GRAFTING AND HOW LONG DOES IT LAST ? WHAT ARE THE SIDE EFFECTS (IF ANY)

ALSO I HAVE SUPERFICIAL LINES ON MY CHEEKS WHEN I SMILE, HAVE JUVIDERM BE USED IN THIS AREA AND CAN YOU RECOMMEND ANYONE IN THE DURBAN AREA THAT MAY DO FILLERS

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Aimee, thank you for the question.

Fat grafting has both advantages and disadvantages and I believe the following factors need to be considered before deciding on going ahead with this procedure:

The main advantage is that one can expect visible results to last for around 5 years. Other advantages include that one’s own fat is used and as such no rejection or reaction to the fat will take place.

The disadvantages include that it is a surgical procedure with considerable downtime (swelling, bruising, pain, seroma and cyst formation, & discomfort), the possibility of infection, the fat graft may not take, one needs to overcompensate as only 40 to 60 percent of the fat takes (one cannot be precise), necrosis, and finally there is a controversy in where on the body one should take the fat from.

Juvederm can be used to enhance the cheek area (in fact any area of the face) and soften smile or dimple lines; the only clinic in Durban I am aware of is Renew Clinic (031) 5611277.