Question
Posted by: Zee | 2011/06/15

Fat-free products

Is it safe to give a 5yr old child fat-free products? I prefer fat-free and its a bit costly having to buy both fat-free and low-fat products.

Dear Zee
In general, it is recommended that children up to the age of 2 years should consume full-cream milk. After the age of 2 years, you can give you child low-fat products, but I would not give him or her fat-free yet, because the full-cream and even the 2% milk contains certain essential fatty acids such as omega-6 and omega-3. All children can benefit nutritionally from consuming full cream dairy products, because dairy, especially full cream milk, cheese, yoghurt and butter, contribute to the daily requirements of omega-3 and omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) and fat soluble vitamins. These fatty acids play a role in brain development and could be a beneficial factor in the treatment of attention deficit disorder. Buy the different milks in smaller quantities so that your child can benefit from the higher essential fatty acid and fat-soluble vitamin content of full-cream or 2% milk, while you use fat-free to assist slimming.

1

Dear Zee