Question
Posted by: Anna | 2012-01-18

Fat free mayonnaise - Yay or nay?

I recently came across Kraft fat free mayo and was wondering if this was ok to use? I made a coleslaw with it and even the kids loved it but I am still not sure if this is ok for my kids to eat .

Dear Anna
I am not sure what fat-replacer is used in Kraft fat-free mayonnaise, but generally speaking these fat-replacers are made from carbohydrates. They are very popular in the USA and seeing that the mayo in question seems to be manufactured in America, it is possible that the product contains ingredients such as "modified food starch, high-fructose corn syrup, etc". So although this product "saves" on fat, it probably contains ingredients like high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) which are also not desirable. HFCS is implicated in a variety of conditions ranging from increased triglycerides (blood fats) to obesity. It is advisable that you use both the fat-free mayo and standard mayo in small quantities and not every day.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2012-01-18

Dear Anna