Question
Posted by: Moedeloos | 2010/10/07

Fat face

Hi there Doc,
I am having a little bit of a problem and it''s probably getting a bigger issue than it is supposed to, but I can''t seem to stop fixating about it.
Firstly, I am 39 years old, have been going to gym regularly for at least 10 years. I only went there just to keep active, trying to stay healthy and so on.
Then, about a year ago I decided that I want to loose some of the little extra ''flab'' that i was carrying around. I upped my tempo at gym and it all went really well. I changed my diet to a more healthy one where I try to eat 4-6 smaller meals a day and it has done a lot for my energy levels. I feel so much better. My BMI went from 27 to 23, my waist from 36 to 32 and I even have quite some muscle definition showing through, which is a huge bonus as I was not aiming for that.
Now for my problem. My face stays fat. I have these puffy cheeks that looks like I have a marshmallow hidden on both sides, and I have a double chin that would make Santa proud.
How can I get rid of this. I do 50mins weight training three to four times a week and cardio for 20mins twice.
If you see only my body, I look really great. But with clothes on, seeing only my face (especially on photos), one would describe me as fat. I hate this and it is becoming quite an issue for me. So much so that I sometimes skip going to gym as I feel I am wasting my time.
PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE BEFORE I GO MAD (If I am not already  -( !!!!!!!!!!!!

Moedeloos.

Tough one, because you're fighting genetics, in so far as our genes determine where we store fat. And so some people struggle around the hips, others the arms, and you with the face. It's not uncommon though.

The issue then, to oversimplify, is excess fat storage. The solution, to oversimplify further, is to burn fat. That's oversimplified because there are hormonal, genetic, metbolic factors that I don't think anyone fully understands which intefere with the nice, simple theory that to lose fat you just have to exercise it off.

But the bottom line, practically, is that what you need to do is to aim to reduce body fat. Now, looking at your training programme, I think that you might want to increase your cardio training component. I'm sure you know of poeple who have trained and when you see them months later, they're looking almost gaunt in the face? That's from cardio training, and it takes a lot. Your programme is currently focused on weight training, and it might be that if you switched the balance, you'd see results within a few months.

You'll probably find that your years of training have given you great anatomical changes, in terms of muscle development and that kind of thing, but never really focused on fat burning and so more cardio may well help you.

2
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/10/18

Reply to fitnessdoc
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/10/18

Reply to fitnessdoc